Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Social Media: check this OUT before I check-IN

The term "checking in" has begun to take upon a whole new meaning. The classic phrase, "Hey mom, I'm just calling to check in," means something entirely different than the following information. Social networks such as Facebook and Foursquare are now capable of enabling us to be accounted for in real places. Each time someone goes to the mall or to school for example, those in their social network can see their check-in proving that person was actually there. https://foursquare.com/about
Foursquare is defined on its website as something that “helps you explore the world around you. Meet up with friends, discover new places, and save money using your phone. Whether you’re setting off on a trip around the world, coordinating a night out with friends, or trying to pick the best dish at your local restaurant, foursquare is the perfect companion.
From what I understand, the purpose of this network is to coordinate plans and map out the activities of friends so as to stay in touch via technology. Nothing a few texts or a phone call couldn’t handle but I digress. Foursquare has over 10 million users worldwide and counting with over 1 billion check-ins! Another strong point of the company is its wide reach. When travelling I would love to know of friends or acquaintances in the area.
In this article about 20-30 something people looking to stay up with the happenings of their peers a very simple but profound point is raised. The most frequent questions asked by the aforementioned demographic are, where are my friends? And what are they doing?

Though I am not a current subscriber to foursquare, after reading this article I am interested to see if it can help convenience my day. Foursquare lets you know who happens to be in the same area that you are. Who knows, maybe relationships could be built with those who have similar interests but never knew it?

Facebook check-ins from what Facebook calls “friends” can be a bit annoying to read in my daily news feed but I will be the first to admit that if I go anywhere remotely cool I swarm the check-in feature on my mobile phone. But who really cares where you are? Apparently the police do! http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2011/09/12/20110912chandler-facebook-warrant-arrest-abrk.html
A helpful citizen reported a suspect fugitive to the police and they saw this person’s check-in on Facebook at a local diner. Technology for the win. Police came and arrested the man after following the tip received. Aside from CSI tactics, the Facebook check-in feature also allows friends to give each other a hard time about the places they have checked-in and who they were with. For example, I know I would hear it from my roommates if on a Friday night I checked-in at the grocery and tagged my mom and grandmother. Perhaps the brilliant minds at Facebook had other ideas for its use, but until I find some real practical use for checking in I’ll stick to harmless ridicule. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the "check-ins" but I will agree with you that if I went anywhere remotely cool, I would want to "check-in." Sorry I am playing catch up with my blog comments since I was in India for the first half of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about playing catchup haha but i love foursquare but have found that companies are using it less and less :(

    ReplyDelete