Monday, October 24, 2011

Social Media: Collaborative and Distance Communications Tools

I cannot even imagine being an elderly person living in this day and age. Technological advances can feel so overwhelming to even those who are caught up in the midst of it all. I would like to say I am somewhat computer literate and can navigate my way around social media. But I have to take the side of amazement with senior citizens when I processed the idea of this article. http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/09/24/skype-away-online-therapy-is-still-exciting/

Mental therapy has been around for ages. Therapists have been accessible in their offices by appointment and in emergency situations. If your shrink was out of town, tough luck, resolve things on your own. That was then, this is now. Therapists are reachable for help with a few clicks of the mouse. Videoconferencing, or Skype, allows two individuals to stream video footage in real time in order to communicate face to face. To me this is absolutely remarkable.

Most services provided online are incredible to me so perhaps I am not the most fitting judge as to what is truly innovative. It seems that such advances are taken for granted and just expected at this point. I wonder what will be commonplace in 5-10 years from now?

Something I confess I know nothing about is second life. From what I do understand it is a virtual realm of interaction between avatars that take part in real life activities. If that doesn't make you scratch your head as to what people are thinking, I do not know what will. The purpose of second life, as understood by a first lifer, is to mingle and meet new people while altogether pretending to be someone else. It is an opportunity to display otherwise taboo feelings or self expression. This whole thing wreaks of fiction right? According to Time Magazine it has become a serious matter. Real problems have begun to stem from disputes concerning fictitious things. More can be found at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1651500,00.html.

An individual could take part in second life for a number of reasons. Some users participate to fill a void of loneliness,  others approach the virtual world as a way to finally express themselves as they really are. It becomes a more accepting society where they can feel free of judgement and shame. A small amount of second lifers are just simply bored and or addicted to the game. I refer to it as a game because to me it is. The most interesting feature to me is the ability users have to buy and sell virtual real estate for real cash. You just read that correctly. But someone somewhere is the proud owner of a nice piece of online property. Sometimes I think the wrong people are stuck in the psych wards.

7 comments:

  1. Great Job Tan man, you rock.

    --" Sometimes I think the wrong people are stuck in the psych wards" AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, the technological advances of this day and age are so extreme that most of the time I can't even wrap my head around it. Having a "second life?" I remember Preston talking about people having Second Life affairs... crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even thought about doing therapy sessions online. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey great job on this, I really like how you discuss these crazy technologies-it doesn't feel like you are shoving your opinion on anyone, and I'm very impressed. I especially like your point of how fast things change, and I also wonder what will happen in the next 5-10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about the therapy sessions done on Skype. The idea seems odd to me because, sure you can see them, but it takes out the whole personal interaction component that I think is important. But I'm kinda 'old fashioned' in the communication area and am a fan of face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the virtual real estate for real cash killlls me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. time to start investing some time on second life eh? haha

    ReplyDelete