Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Letter to cousin

Dear Lauren,

How are things with your new baby? I still need to get out there to see you guys soon! Anyway, in response to your question about how classes are going, I’m taking a few public relations courses that are very interesting. You know how some classes you just endure for the credits? These are in no way like that. I think I’ve told you before that I want to be a representative for or spokesperson for colleges or hospitals, the classes I’m in embody everything I need to know to learn the skills necessary to be effective in that career choice.

Public relations are like positive publicity, perception and image for organizations in the public eye. So for example, my Lovesac recently had a bad tare on it and it was the fault of their company. So I emailed them with my concern and someone who handles customer relations (part of public relations) helped me get things taken care of. So in a sense, PR is also about problem solving and putting out fires.

Because the world is changing so rapidly today, social media and networking is a vital part of communication for this industry. Familiarity with online methods of completing work is also crucial to keep up with the direction that business is moving. I could go on for a while, but more or less public relations is organizations communicating with other organizations and individuals in a positive light to promote themselves or sometimes just save face and make lemonade from lemons.

Hope all is well!
Tanner

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about how vital social media is in the PR field. It was interesting to hear about the customer service/relations side of PR. Great work!
    -- Taylor

    ReplyDelete