In a PRSA Blog titled Diversity Today, a particle post concerning stereotypes found its way onto my screen and into my mind. The author describes their experience in the PR industry and their ethnic background. Upon reviewing their circumstances as an Asian-American it became more and more clear to me that Public Relations and representation in itself not only works with diverse people, but it thrives on it. Some ideas can best be focused from someone who can relate to that particular crowd/market/audience. The point being that not every older white male knows what appeals to young Oriental females. And not every young Hispanic man has the tools to target middle aged African Americans. You get my drift. So diversity, when possible, is the key to a broader range of success in reaching more demographics. As far as stereotypes are concerned, I"m not really sure what is thought to be what in this industry. Related to age, race, and ethnicity that is. Stereotypes that do concern me about PR, are the ones claiming that the industry is full of misrepresentation and spin. I plan on participating in neither of those things and I am sure that there is a proper manner in which I can be successful by so doing. Here's the link to the blog:
http://diversity.prsa.org/index.php/2010/07/another-point-of-view/
No comments:
Post a Comment